Sunday, October 18, 2009

Race for the Cure

I found out about a month ago that my Aunt Pam was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was SO sad for her and I felt helpless with the information I was given. I live so far away and sending her my love and prayers did not feel like I was doing enough for her. This month is Breast Cancer awareness and I knew there was something else that I could do. I searched the internet and found out that here in Jacksonville they were doing the Race for the Cure and I thought......YES! That's perfect! I will run in her honor! Now, I don't claim to be a very good runner or fast by any means, but I like to run short distances and it was a 5K.....Perfect, sign me up!

On Saturday, it was the best weather for a run. Fall has officially come to Florida! AWESOME! We've been waiting all year for a relief from the heat. What a perfect day for this! I got my hot pink shirt on, my pink tenni-pumps, and my Breast Cancer bandana. I was ready to go. The kids and Mr. B were excited for me too. They dropped me off at the front with literally thousands of other people all dressed in pink! It was SO amazing! You could feel the energy and excitement from all the people coming together for a cause. We all lined up at the starting line and they played the Melissa Etheridge song, "I Run for Life." If you've never heard it, you need to. INSPIRING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgiwrvEX8wY

I was SO pumped! The gun went off and we ran. As I was running/jogging I saw some incredible things. I had my shuffle, but I was so entertained by what was going on around me that I think I only listened to 2 or 3 songs the whole time. I saw cheerleaders lining the route all dressed up in pink tutus and hot pink wigs with their posters and pom-poms. The runners all had something pink on and the best part were the pink tags. You could pin a tag on you with the person's name that you were running for on it. It either said, "In Memory of" or "In Celebration of." A lot of the runners had the tags pinned on the backs of their shirts and some even had shirts especially made with the names already on it. Mine said, "In Celebration of Aunt Pam."

I remember I was just running along reading everyone's shirts as they all passed me (because I'm so slow) and I was feeling the spirit of everyone coming together running for someone that they loved. I saw one guy that had a picture of his mother on the back of his shirt, some said, "Save the tatas," one lady had a tag that said, "In Celebration of my Mom, my Grandmother, my Aunt, and my sister." Then I saw him. The one guy that stuck out to me. I only saw him from behind as he passed me. I could tell he was running by himself and I looked on the pink tag he had pinned to the back of his shirt. It said, "In Memory of my wife." That was it. I started tearing up. This was such a monumental experience. I felt closer to my aunt. I felt strong for her. I felt like I was supporting her from afar. Amazing. I loved it. It filled my spirit. I feel for all those who have lost a loved one to this disease. I feel for all those who have suffered or ARE suffering with this disease. I don't know what it's like, but it's gotta be a horrifying experience. But there is A LOT of love and support out there. I was amazed with how many were affected by it just here in Jacksonville. I will DEFINITELY run the Race for the Cure everytime they hold this event.




This was the coolest bra I've ever seen!


I will never forget it. I love you, Aunt Pam.

2 comments:

Brown Family said...

Ok, so thanks for making me bawl here at my computer. Seriously, the tears are dripping onto my lap. It was the husband running in memory of his wife that set me off. I'm so glad you had this experience. I hope you told Aunt Pam and that she knows how to access your blog to see the photos. You're wonderful!

Kevin and DeNiel said...

I love this! I had to walk away because I couldn't read the text any more --- you are awesome, Linds! Dad sent Pam an email so that she can read this. Saturday Joanna and I are going to do a similar run in honor of Aunt Pam.