Sunday, August 24, 2008

We survived Fay!



So, on Tuesday I heard there was suppose to be a hurricane coming our way and that we should be prepared. I only had a few things accumulated in my food storage, so I went to the store and got a radio, flashlight, extra batteries, and water. Dan was in Memphis and was suppose to be flying in on Wednesday, so I was worried he wouldn't be able to come home. Well, the more I listened to the news, the more things changed. They said it wouldn't be here until Thursday and then they said that it wasn't a hurricane anymore, it was a tropical storm. Dan was able to fly home and be with us and Spencer's school was canceled Wed-Fri. Then when the storm hit on Thursday, there was A LOT of rain and wind and lucky us, our power went out for 26 hours! There is only so much board games and coloring you can do in the hot and humid house until you go CRAZY! I was trying to think of what the pioneers would do in this situation. How was I going to build a fire to cook dinner when it was so wet outside? We had dinner at the mall instead. Here are some photos of our adventures.

The kids trying to stay busy with their paper dinosaurs.

Branches and vines fell in our backyard and our street flooded several times.
This is what Dan looked like after he took the garbage out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO glad you guys are safe and sound. I thought about you and hoped the hurricane wouldn't hit your area.

Joanna said...

Nasty Dan! I'm glad that you guys are OK. Love you. Aunt Jo

Anne Bennion said...

I would hate having to worry about hurricanes all the time. Glad that you all survived with little damage. Those tree branches can be a pain. We generally have a major windstorm during the winter that will knock out power for a couple days and tree branches will cover our back yard. Not fun!

Unknown said...

That's crazy... we lost power for an hour. Next time, come over! We can go stir crazy together (at least the kids can play and have fun during times like these).