Saturday, April 4, 2009

The BEST trip ever!

I had the most AMAZING opportunity to fly to Utah to go to the BYU Singers Alumni Reunion AND on the same weekend in Utah, my sister Joanna planned a California reunion! WOW, was it a busy weekend! I debated and debated as to whether I should bring Lauryn or not because she is still nursing, but in the end I couldn't handle being without her, since I've never been before. She was a trooper through it all, but she sure put me through the ringer! The airplane rides were pretty hard for her because she LOVES to get down on the floor and crawl around and explore. So I had to continuously keep her busy. Then I dragged her all around South Jordan, Kaysville, and Provo visiting some wonderful people that I hadn't seen for YEARS! She hardly took naps and wouldn't sleep at night, so I was basically going on adrenaline for 5 days.

Lauryn being good at the airport.

On Thursday, I flew in and drove to my friend, Lisa's house in South Jordan. Lisa was one of my best friends in elementary school in CA and I hadn't seen her since we bumped into each other at BYU about 8 years ago. It was SO fun visiting and catching up. Thanks, Lisa, for letting us stay at your place! Then we drove to the house where they were having the CA reunion and I saw a ton of old friends from girls camp and one of my best friends, Kira, from elementary school that I hadn't seen in about 15 years was there!!! I couldn't believe it! It was SO fun getting to know her again, I wish there would've been more time. I made the mistake of loosing touch, but I won't EVER do that again!
Kira, me, and Lisa

Misty, Joanna, and Shanda
On Friday night, I went to the BYU Singers Reunion dinner........SO FUN!! I hardly ate anything because I was so excited to talk with my "singer" friends and to listen to how their lives have changed and how they've evolved. I miss them so much! My sweet dear friends have such a special place in my heart. When you sing with other AMAZING singers, you create this spiritual bond that never goes away.

Erika, her hubbie, me, Melissa,
Kate, Marni, Rachelle, ?, and Liz

Melissa, Jill, Kate, and me
On Saturday, I visited with my sweet friend Kelly, who I knew from Arkansas, and she just happened to be living on campus at BYU with her husband and 2 kids. We had a great visit and her kids are such sweethearts! My dear friend offered to take care of Lauryn for me while I went to the BYU Singers Alumni rehearsal AND concert AND feed me dinner! Thank you SO much, Kelly, you're the best! (forgot to take pictures)
At the concert, I was able to hear the current Singers give their concert first. It was ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL! I was mesmerized the whole time. I could barely breathe! I miss it SO much it hurts! Then for the last 3 numbers, the alumni (which was about 200) joined them on stage. It was AMAZING and overwhelmingly emotional! Memories, memories, memories! I just soaked in as much as I could. I couldn't get enough. I needed that SO much. It was "food for the soul." On top of it ALL, my wonderful sister Joanna, and a bunch of our CA friends came to watch the concert! It was so special to see them there and it meant SO much to me. I sang with some of those beautiful girls when I was just a little girl, in Children's Choir and Girl's Ensemble. Such a long time ago and what good memories I HAD, and NOW what good memories I HAVE!

At the rehearsal giving a present to Sandefur, the woman who planned the whole reunion.
After the concert, I went to the reception and laughed my head off and had a great time. I visited with friends from different times in my life. I saw my very first voice teacher that changed my life at Ricks College, Brother Dresen. (sorry, Steve). I just can't call him by his first name, he'll always be Bro. Dresen to me. It was so hard to say goodbye and to pull myself away.
Sean and Jessi Coletti, and me
Sean, Aaron and Liz Cleavinger, me, funny Joni Jensen
Me and Joni

Courtney, Marni, ?, Liz, Kate, and me

Karissa and crazy Jill

Erin, Courtney and Kate
Me and Bro. Dresen
On Sunday, I spent the day with my sister and her in-laws. Thanks, Traci, for letting me stay at your place! I had a great time and my sister was so helpful with Lauryn. Thanks for everything, Jo! It was all worth it!
Then to end the trip, I went to lunch with my beautiful, most hilarious friend from Ricks College, Sarah Vance and her husband and 2 beautiful daughters. (Oops, I forgot to take a picture) Oh, I love Sarah. I miss her and those "Ricks College days." We were in my very first opera together. There is just not enough time on a trip like that to catch up on lost time. I live so far away........boo!
The airplane ride home was..........LONG...........and when I saw Dan and the boys waiting for me.......I could finally take a breath and relax! I was home. I was where I belong. The trip was SO worth it, but I LOVE my sweet family.
You know, I've been to lots of different places and have met lots of different people, but there are only some that are so special that I can't even express in words how much they mean to me, how much they inspire me, how much they've affected me throughout the years. They've taken part in how I've turned out today, and I will never forget their sweet, beautiful, special spirits. The Lord has had a wonderful hand in blessing my life with these people. I am eternally grateful.

5 comments:

Janelle Heath said...

What a great and well written post! I felt the excitement you had at each place. Seeing old friends is always an amazing experience.

Kelly said...

The pictures of Lauryn are SO so cute!! I had such a great time with you. It was so fun to see you!! I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip. Lauryn is so precious. She was an angel at my house. I'm glad you got to see so many people and didn't have to worry about her. This post was fun to read. I can tell you seriously had a BLAST! =)

Lindsay said...

Thanks again, Kelly....you were a life saver! I just loved seeing you again! You are such a wonderful mother, of course I didn't have to worry about her.

Anonymous said...

Wow, how did you fit all that in one weekend??!! I'm just catching up a little. And you're right, there is no time! I guess we just don't sleep...or eat...or visit with our cute husbands...right?
Because this is such a great way to keep in touch! And it really was fun catching up a little!
Now I think i'll go and "accidentally" break off my shower faucet!

Anonymous said...

So jealous! I'm so glad you got to do that. I can totally relate to missing it SO much that it hurts. I am so hoping that I can make it to the Ricks one this fall. Are you going? How is Bro. Dresen? I think about him all the time. I'm so jealous you got to see him. Do you have contact details for him?

What a fun trip! You look fabulous in the photos.